Student Voter ID – free to apply

Posted in Course Related on the .
Student Voter ID – free to apply

New voter ID law introduced

  • As a result of a recent change in the law, voters will now need to show photo ID to vote in UK Parliamentary elections across the UK and local elections in England. This law came into force in December 2022 and will be used for the first time in the upcoming local elections.

Register to vote

  • If you have not already, you will need to register to vote to be able to vote in the May elections. You can register on the website Register to vote.
  • The deadline to vote in the upcoming May elections is 11:59pm Monday on 17 April but you can still register at any time.

Voter ID

What ID can I use?

Under the new rules, there are a number of forms of ID that will be accepted at polling stations including:

  • Passports (UK, European Economic Area (EEA) and Commonwealth)
  • Driving licensees
  • Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) cards
  • Concessionary travel cards (Note: only for those 60+ – most student travel cards will not be accepted).
  • You can find a full list of all accepted forms of photo ID on the Electoral Commission website.
  • Approved identification documents don’t have to be in date to be accepted. Expired ID will still be accepted providing the photograph is still a good likeness.

What if I don’t have photo ID?

  • People without an existing acceptable form of voter ID can apply online or by post for a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC) to show at the polls. The VAC will display the holders’ name alongside a passport-style photo of them.

Voter Authority Certificates

  • Voter Authority Certificates (VACs) are a new form of photo ID for use when voting in UK Parliamentary, Police and Crime Commissioner elections, and English local elections. They are
    designed for people who don’t have another form of photo ID accepted at the polls. They will be valid for 10 years.
  • Students that are already registered to vote can register online for the Voter Authority Certificate:
  • It is free to apply, and students will need a recent digital photo of themselves and their national insurance number. If you do not have their national insurance number they can still apply but may need your birth certificate.
  • The deadline to complete the application is 5pm on 25 April 2023 to get a VAC for the 04 May 2023 elections in England. However, you can still register for a VAC at any time.

NUS and CitizenCard offering free ID cards that can be used to vote

Where can I find out more or get help?

You can speak to a member of staff at any centre LRC about voter ID and the application process or view the information page on the LRC website.